I’m an unashamed geek, in love with both technology and my family. I watch sci-fi on TV, read Asimov, surf the ‘net (more often than I should), and have a great interest in new & shiny things. (See my blog for more on that and other sysadmin things).
I’m an enthusiastic and experienced Systems Administrator, having looked after large numbers of Linux and Solaris systems. I also have a background as a developer (in PHP, C, Python, and Go).
Despite my strong technical background, I don’t shy away from “softer” skills like interpersonal communication, giving presentations, writing documentation, and mentoring junior staff.
I’m also a big believer that technical skills back up business goals, not the other way around.
- Linux (Debian/Ubuntu, Gentoo, RHEL)
- Solaris 9, 10
- Virtualisation – Solaris Containers, Linux-VServers, LXC, VMWare ESXi
- IPv6 – Systems & Applications
- DNS (BIND) – authoritative & recursive
- IronPort – Email Security Appliances and Security Management Appliances
- Backups – Legato/EMC NetWorker, Amanda
- RADIUS – Radiator
- Documenting then fixing pesky legacy systems
- MySQL tuning, index optimisation
- Monitoring (munin, nagios, collectd, mon)
- PHP development & platform optimisation
- Python, C, Go
- Troubleshooting complex environments
- Bachelor of Information Technology, Flinders University 2003.
- Certificate IV in Project Management
- Various courses – Zend Server, XIV SAN, and IPv6
- On the job! I learn new systems and technologies quickly.
There is an employment history and various recommendations on my LinkedIn profile.