Kinda nerdy father; Systems Engineer / SRE / Engineering Manager.
I’ve been a developer (PHP, C, Python, Go), Systems Administrator, SRE, and people manager. I can mess around with system internals, I can lead projects or small teams, I can coach and mentor.
I like to take a step back and ask what problem we’re really trying to solve.
- System design & architecture
- Monitoring and SLOs
- Linux system configuration, debugging.
- Tuning and query / index optimisation for databases (MySQL, BDB).
- Core protocols - DNS (authoritative & recursive/caching), SMTP, LDAP, RADIUS.
- IPv6 migration and troubleshooting.
- Backup & restore.
- Solid written and verbal communication.
- Mentoring & coaching junior and senior employees.
- Coding/scripting (bash, Python, Java/C++/Perl as needed)
- Bachelor of Information Technology, Flinders University 2003.
- Certificate IV in Project Management
- Various courses - Zend Server, XIV SAN, and IPv6
- On the job! I learn new systems and technologies quickly.