Kinda nerdy father; Systems Engineer / SRE / Manager.
I’ve been a developer (PHP, C, Python, Go), Systems Administrator, SRE, and people manager. I can mess around with system internals, I can lead projects or small teams, I can coach and mentor.
I like to take a step back and ask what problem we’re really trying to solve.
- Technical leadership
- Team leadership / management
- Communication! Verbal and written
- Coaching and mentoring of junior staff
- Documenting then fixing pesky legacy systems
- Troubleshooting complex environments
- Linux (Debian/Ubuntu, Gentoo, RHEL)
- Solaris 9, 10
- Virtualisation (Solaris Containers, Linux-VServers, LXC, VMWare, Docker)
- IPv6, Systems & Applications
- DNS (BIND) authoritative & recursive)
- Email stuff (sendmail, IronPort)
- Backups (Legato/EMC NetWorker, Amanda)
- OpenLDAP, Heimdal Kerberos.
- MySQL tuning, index optimisation
- Monitoring (munin, nagios, collectd, mon)
- Python, C, Go, PHP, HTML/CSS/JS
- Bachelor of Information Technology, Flinders University 2003.
- Certificate IV in Project Management
- Various courses - Zend Server, XIV SAN, and IPv6
- On the job! I learn new systems and technologies quickly.
There is an employment history and various recommendations on my LinkedIn profile.