Father / Systems Engineer / Staff SRE / Engineering Manager.
I’ve been a developer, Systems Administrator, SRE, and people manager. I can spend all day in a hex editor, or drafting roadmaps for teams to work together on. I’ve led small teams and cross-team projects; I do coaching and mentoring on everything from career goals to communication skills.
I like to take a step back and ask what problem we’re really trying to solve.
- Large-scale system design & architecture
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Mentoring & coaching junior and senior employees
- Monitoring and SLOs
- Data Integrity / backup & restore
- Systems troubleshooting
- Core protocols - DNS, SMTP, LDAP, RADIUS; IPv6
- Tuning and query / index optimisation for databases (MySQL, BDB)
- Coding/scripting (bash, Python, Java/C++/Perl)
- Bachelor of Information Technology, Flinders University 2003.
- Certificate IV in Project Management
- On the job! No two tasks are the same, I really enjoy diving in to learn new things.